Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Oh my, I need to catch up - 4

Santa Fe Trail - October 9 - 12
  I didn't travel far each day because I stopped at monuments, statues, and museums.  I had a glorious time learning the history of the SFT and envisioning the travels of the merchants and, later, the settlers.  I was off the interstate and driving through prairies and towns that were significant to the SFT for some reason.  Some of the forts, which had protected the travelers, were closed because of the government shut-down.  I got to see plenty, though.  There were areas where wagon ruts and swales could be seen. I was able to have dinner in an inn and tour houses that still exist.  I arrived at Santa Fe.  There was no fanfare, but I had a feeling of accomplishment.  I have pictures of the monuments that mark the beginning and the end of the trail (and about 200 of everything in between).

No comments:

Post a Comment