Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Oh my, I need to catch up. 1

Ohio - September 20
     I went to Gurnsey County Ohio to participate in a family reunion.  It was a family history tour set up by my cousin.  My sister has done extensive research into our geneogly and my cousin caught the 'bug' and has worked on it also.  The two created a great glimpse into the history of my mother's father's line of ancestry.   The dozen of us went to the gravesite of the immigrant to America along that line and then visited areas and houses in which the decendents of that man lived.  We heard stories about the ancestors and learned some family trivia.  There was even an unexpected 'find' along the way.  We were invited to see the actual deed to the land one ancestor was issued in 1829, signed by Andrew Jackson.  It had been found in the house near where we visited.  The present owner (not related to us)  had found it in the wall when they renovated.  They invited us to see it and even showed us the remaining foundation of the original home.
     It was a wonderful weekend with the opportunity to see each other and to learn more about our roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment