Monday, February 21, 2011

Gleanings for the Hungry


I am in my second week of working here in Dinuba, CA near Fresno. This mission outreach creates dry soup mix in the winter and sends it all over the world to those in need. Last week over 1.9 million servings were created. Most of the time I put spices in the ziplock bags. Those bags then go over to the line where the dry veggies are put in and then packed in barrels. I also helped on the line burping the bags to get all the air out.
In the summer Gleanings will process peaches by cutting them, placing them on trays which are put in the field (several acres) to dry. The dry peaches are then packed into 5- gallon buckets and are, again, shipped all over the world.

While I was here I saw a truckload of 43,000 lbs of soup mix leave, headed for South Africa. There is a staff of about 30 people here. We were fed 3 meals/day and 2 snacks. Gleanings runs solely on donations. Amazing. You can read about it and watch a video on their website (or youtube) Gleanings.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment