Sunday, August 2, 2009

Chatham, IL week 2

      We continued working on the chapel.  I helped sand drywall mud and began painting.  The paint was too bright so we will be painting again.  Began working on the sign that will be on the outside.  Others put up siding and the men continued building a deck on another building.
     On Tuesday night we went to Lincoln's tomb.  Every Tuesday there is a little ceremony done by men in actual Civil War uniforms.  It was raining and I thought not many people would show up.  wrong.  Each person signs in and after the flag is taken down one person's name is drawn and he receives the flag.  No one in our group got the flag.  Then the tomb is opened and we filed through.  We were instructed to leave our umbrellas at the entry -uh oh.  Yep,  mine was gone when we got back.  I waited until most people were gone and chose a similar umbrella.  
     Nothing else remarkable happened.  I stayed put for the weekend, rested, made phone calls, and mapped out my next trips. 
     The corn is tall and tasseled.  We are surrounded on three sides by miles of corn fields.  The vivid blue sky behind the rich green corn makes the area look like a picture out of a magazine.  In the morning when I walk there are wild morning glories blooming around the stalks.  The road is flat and straight, ahhhhh, and makes for a nice bike ride in the evenings.
     I have tv with my antenna and my malfunctioning refrigerator was fixed by one of the NOMADS.  A part was just not attached.  So all is well.
     Miss y'all.
     
      

No comments:

Post a Comment