Monday, August 17, 2009

Ashippun, WI

     This past week (Aug 8-15) I was at Harnishfeger County Park.  Here the five NOMADS cooked and served 90 volunteers breakfast and supper.  The volunteers were mostly teens who were a part of Disciplefest, working at a day camp VBS for handicapped children.  We had early and late hours, but the daytime was free.
     I was able to walk on the park's trails and bike on the surrounding country roads.  The park had a nine hole disc (frisbee) golf course.  I had never seen this, and found out that it's quite a popular activity.  Instead of sand traps, some of the 'holes' or baskets were in the woods on the trails.   interesting.
     While I biked,  I was able to see some of the rolling hills of farmland and the big red barns with stone foundations that are all over the area.  I love old barns.  I had to resist taking pictures of all of them.
     The area is also home to sandhill cranes.  I had never seen them before.  They were a noisy group.
     On Friday we went to the day camp to watch the program that the children did.  It was fun to see the teens interact with their buddies.  There was a picnic for all to conclude their festivities.
     Saturday we served breakfast to the remaining volunteers, cleaned the facility, and packed up.  I then drove only an hour to Madison, WI to spend a week visiting Janelle.  There is a county park within the the city limits that I can camp at.  convenient

1 comment:

  1. I told the kids what you're doing and they think it's great! They are totally ready to sell, pack and RV. When you come thru for a visit we'll have to be sure you don't end up with a stow-away!! Tori would go with you in a heartbeat :-)

    ReplyDelete