Monday, August 9, 2010

Montrose, CO

I completed about 1 1/2 weeks with Habitat. I shredded files in the office, worked at the building site, and buttered corn at the Olathe Corn Festival. There is on-going building project for Habitat in Montrose. At this time there are three homes trying to be done by the end of the year. I was kept busy by sweeping drywall mess, putting up dry wall, putting on siding, sorting nails. It was some hot days, but I didn't work like some of the others. They really put in a lot of time and effort to give "a hand up" to those in the community.
The Corn Festival was fun. All the corn you could eat; the best sweet corn I've ever eaten. The corn was roasted or boiled, dumped into bins, handed to the people who took the corn to the next tent to be buttered. We used liquid butter in squeeze bottles to put on the butter. Then the people could salt and pepper there Very well organized. I buttered during the whole 4 hour shift. I read that there was over 150,000 ears of corn roasted.
The day ended with a concert by Wynona- free for the volunteers. It rained for awhile just before the concert. So there was a muddy mess, tarps, and rain jackets....reminded me of the Kentucky Derby.
I'm now visiting with a few different friends in the Denver area. Then it's on to Wyoming for a three-week project with NOMADS at a church camp.

1 comment:

  1. Please don't close your blog...It is the only way I can talk to you...Had fun when you were home...School starts next week. The summer sure went fast. I am getting Whitney ready for school again. We are moving her Friday but then she is coming home. We have to move her early because we have a wedding next weekend. I am really going to miss her. It is like starting the saddness all over again. I thought it would be better the second year for me but I think it might be worse because I know what to expect. Sounds like you are working hard and busy...Are you coming our way anytime soon? Miss ya and think about us working ladies starting up again next week. Love you lots and lots! Karen

    ReplyDelete